06 July 2009

Three Weeks

...is how long ago I posted. In said post, I aired my grievances about my disgust with the direction my life was heading, listing all the weight I felt upon me and noting how change did not seem imminent.

My how quickly things change.

Really, even before this post it started getting better, but almost point for point things have changed.

I won't get out of the house any time soon, and I'll just have to come to terms with that. I nearly did, but a job opportunity fell through. Oh well. This is cheaper, if less desirable.
My education will get finished. It isn't quite what I dreamed it would be, but it will suffice. A doctorate is a marathon anyway, not a sprint. Every dollar saved will help. I spoke with my mother as well, and we're going to do whatever it takes to pay for school. Financial aid is still a pain, but luckily we're talking $1800 and not $10,000.

The best part, though, is the employment situation. I believe it was around the time of the last post that I was snubbed from a temp job in a crap factory for half the wage I should make. I was basically told that there was a position for me and that within 10 days I would get contacted for an interview on site. 11 days later, I call, no such position exists. I got very discouraged by this, and the job search went on hiatus for a bit. After all, this was after 8 straight months of failure with regards to finding employment.

My friend Clay told me the Best Buy he works at was hiring, so that night/early the next morning I put in an application as a "what do I have to lose" move. 9 hours later, I schedule a job interview set for 5:30 pm Monday afternoon. I know I shouldn't get my hopes up, but just getting the interview is one of the best things thats happened to me in months. I know from experience that the only thing that can screw up getting a job from an interview is me, and I won't make the same mistake again.

It really has been an incredible shift in disposition in a relatively short amount of time. I think a combination of just getting the weight off my shoulders via blog post, and talking to people (here's lookin' at you, Brian) has helped more than I thought it would. A little luck never hurt, either.

Also,


Here's to more improvement.

No comments: